Feb 18, 2018

The selection by Kiera Cass. A review

The sebection by Kiera Cass
The first book in the selection series
Genre: Young Adult, Distopian
Review: 4 / 5 stars
Goodreads description:
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.
Impressions and review:
I found this book to be a very pleasing, fascinating read. We follow the story of America Singer, a young girl who ends up competing for the prince's heart and becoming the next princess. Even though no one sees her as a threat due to her fiery temper and low position in society, she manages to hold her chance in front of all prejudices.
While I can easily admit that this isn't the most complex book in the world, nor the best written story of all, I found it to be very addicting. It is true that I haven't found all of America's decisions and reactions to be appropriate for the time and place she was in, but there were also times when I could have imagined myself as America, doing the same thing, having the same insecurities.
I am not a fast reader, however I have devoured this book as I finished it in only two days. I can highly recommend this book to anyone in search of a fast, enjoyable read. Although, one should keep in mind that this book is part of a series and it sets the love triangle for the next books, so if you don't feel like committing to a series or want to avoid love triangles in books perhaps this is not the book for you.
As for me, while I can understand why this book is not everyone's cup of tea, I am very glad that I have read it and I cannot wait to move on to the next book in the series because as it seems right now I am totally trash for this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment